Australia, what a concept...


I moved to Australia from the U.S. when I was fifty. The transition looked deceptively simple. After all, I’d visited there a half-dozen times, I knew my way around, and the Aussies speak English—how hard could it be? I quickly found there’s a big difference between being a tourist in a country and having to make a serious go of it. This blog covers what I had to learn the first few years in order to survive.
Posted by

Friday, March 7, 2008

Australian Time Zones

Sydney and Melbourne are two hours ahead of Perth and one-half hour ahead of Adelaide and Darwin. (Yes, there are half-hour time zones.)
During Australian Standard Time, late April to late October (exact dates vary from state to state):
When it’s 12 noon in Sydney, it’s:
12 noon in Melbourne, Canberra, Hobart, and Brisbane,
11:30 a.m. in Adelaide and Darwin,
10:00 a.m. in Perth.
During Australian daylight savings time, October to April (exact dates vary from state to state):
When it’s 12 noon in Sydney, it’s:
12 noon in Melbourne, Canberra, and Hobart,
11:30 a.m. in Adelaide,
11:00 a.m. in Brisbane,
10:30 a.m. in Darwin,
10:00 a.m. in Perth.
Obviously, this gets confusing. It’s possible for it to simultaneously be eight-ten in Darwin and twenty minutes to nine in Brisbane.

No comments: