Australia, what a concept...


I moved to Australia from the U.S. when I was fifty. The transition looked deceptively simple. After all, I’d visited there a half-dozen times, I knew my way around, and the Aussies speak English—how hard could it be? I quickly found there’s a big difference between being a tourist in a country and having to make a serious go of it. This blog covers what I had to learn the first few years in order to survive.
Posted by

Thursday, March 20, 2008

“Are you from Canada?”

When Aussies pick up on your “North American” accent, they will likely ask if you’re from Canada, not if you’re from the U.S. This is partly because they run into more Canadians than Americans, but mostly it’s because they know Canadians are sensitive to being mistaken for Americans, while Americans don’t care.

As for Americans: when asked that question, don’t be offended, it’s a great opportunity to strike up a conversation. Outside of tourist areas, Americans are a novelty.

No comments: