Australia, what a concept...


I moved to Australia from the U.S. when I was fifty. The transition looked deceptively simple. After all, I’d visited there a half-dozen times, I knew my way around, and the Aussies speak English—how hard could it be? I quickly found there’s a big difference between being a tourist in a country and having to make a serious go of it. This blog covers what I had to learn the first few years in order to survive.
Posted by

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Small country on a big lot.

You've gotta love living in a country of only 21 million people. Since moving here in 2003, I've become involved in the community doing some land-preservation activism, and helping with my kids' high school Parents & Citizens group (equiv. of PTA) . Through these activities I've had the opportunity to meet with several members of the State Parliament, including both of the last two oppostition leaders and the previous Premier (equiv. of a state governor). I've also met with several members of the Federal Parliament, and last week had the opportunity to meet the Deputy Prime Minister, Julia Guillard (equiv. of the U.S. Vice President--just try to get close to Dick Cheney). Not bad for only being in the country five years.

No comments: